MA Media Theory & Research
The Master of Arts in Media Theory and Research program offers a solid foundation in media research, methods, and theory, and prepares students for a variety of interests including research positions in media organizations, opinion research, commentary, teaching and doctoral studies.
30 credits including a common core, research tools, emphasis area courses, and a 3-credit thesis.
MCMA 500-3 Mass Media as Social Institutions
MCMA 504-3 Foundations of Media Theory
MCMA 592-3 Masters Seminar
Research Tools (Two of the following in consultation with a faculty advisor)
MCMA 531-3 Critical Research Methods in Media Arts
MCMA 532-3 Quantitative Research Methods in Mass Communication
MCMA 534-3 Qualitative Research Methods
A minimum of four courses (12 credits) selected in consultation with the faculty adviser to include at least 1 course from outside of the college and 1 course from within.
MCMA 599-3 M.A. Thesis
We are opening our admissions process on October 16, 2017 and we will accept applications through January 15, 2018. We only accept applications for this degree for Fall admission.
Application Materials Required:
- Online Application (most documents below can be uploaded through the application site)
- 3 Letters of Reference
- Curriculum Vitae/Resume
- Statements: Personal, Biographical, Research·
- A writing sample
- GRE (Institutional Code = 1726 SIUC; Department Code = 4508 Mass Communications)
- Transcripts (3.0 minimum gpa- originals must be sent via post)
- International applicants should have excellent English speaking and writing skills. Those who have not taken significant advanced study in programs taught in English will have to take the TOEFL or IELTS. Minimum scores: TOEFL: IBT - 100, Computer - 250, Paper - 600. IELTS: 7.0
Steps to Apply
- Fill out the online application for the department listed Media Theory and Research. This major is not currently listed under Mass Communications and Media Arts. Upload most required documents.
- Any other application materials including transcripts should be sent via post.