The Department of Radio, Television and Digital Media prepares students for positions in the communications sector. The program combines practical and analytical study in producing television, video, animation, audio and radio, together with electronic journalism, the global media industries, the music business, and research on traditional and emerging media.
To be admitted to Department of Radio, Television and Digital Media, incoming freshmen must meet University admission requirements. Transfer students seeking admission from another institution or from another program at Southern Illinois University Carbondale must have a 2.0 grade point average or above.
All Radio, Television and Digital Media students are required to maintain an overall 2.0 grade point average in the major. If a Radio, Television, and Digital Media student does not achieve a 2.0 grade point average in the major in any one semester, that student is subject to departmental warning. Students who are on departmental warning and do not earn an overall 2.0 grade point average in Radio, Television, and Digital Media courses in a subsequent semester will be placed in a status of departmental dismissal. A student who has been placed on collegiate dismissal will be transferred to Pre-Major Advisement or may seek transfer to another University program if the student has an overall SIUC grade point average of 2.0. A dismissed student may appeal to the Undergraduate Committee for reinstatement into the program.
Enrollment in Radio, Television and Digital Media courses may be canceled for students who do not attend the initial class session of the semester. Fees will be assessed for supplies and materials in some courses. Students should inquire about fee amounts before registering. (all fees are listed on the schedule of classes)
- Radio, Television, and Digital Media students must receive a grade of B or better in ENGL 101 (LING 101) and ENGL 102 (LING 102). If an RTD student does not receive a grade of B or better in these courses, they will need to take ENGL 290, ENGL 291, or ENGL 300 and receive a grade of C or better.
- Students must receive a grade of C or better in both RTD 200 and RTD 201 before taking any other RTD courses. RTD 200 and RTD 201 can only be repeated one time.
- Grades of C or better are required in all Radio, Television, and Digital Media courses in order to count towards the major or minor and to satisfy prerequisite requirements.
REQUIRED RADIO, TELEVISION, AND DIGITAL MEDIA COURSES 12-18 hours
- RTD 200 (3 hours) – Understanding Media
- RTD 201 (3 hours) – Introduction to Media Production
- RTD 308 (3 hours) – Media, Law, Policy and Regulation
- RTD 393 (3 hours) – Electronic Media in Society (preq. Sr. Standing)
**Students whose catalogue year is Summer 2014 and beyond are required to take these 6 additional hours.
- CP or JRNL course not to include core curriculum courses (3 hours)
- RTD approved Media Studies course (3 hours)
* A grade of “C” or better must be earned in RTD 200 and RTD 201 in addition to satisfying the English requirements before enrolling in additional RTD courses.