Interim Dean Dr. Deborah Tudor
Welcome to the College of Mass Communication & Media Arts, SIU’s home for cutting-edge media and communication production and study. Here, your passion for media, creativity, and learning meet faculty innovation, experience and dedicated teaching.
What do you imagine yourself doing in five years? Whether you want to shoot and edit video, learn on-air reporting, produce sports broadcasts, create animation or games, write scripts for film and television, develop ad copy, advance to a graduate degree, manage a media business, learn media research, or practice multimedia art - our College is the place that will take you there.
We provide a contemporary mix of theoretical knowledge and hands-on experience. This provides you with the latest techniques and the conceptual knowledge to help you put those techniques to use. Our award winning, internationally known faculty passionately advocate for you throughout your four years here. You will find your own path from the example of their successes and from their expertise. You will have access to state of the art facilities, and the experience you gain outside of the classroom setting helps you develop a successful lifelong career. You will have help from MCMA alumni all over the world to open doors to you for internships, externships, and future employment possibilities.
Explore our website to learn about our programs, email our faculty to discuss your interests, and visit us to get a glimpse of how we work and live in an exciting artistic and intellectual community.
The faculty and students of MCMA:
- Make state-of-the art moving images,
- Host the Big Muddy Film Festival, the longest-running student film festival in the United States.
- Report on and photograph stories that serve the public interest.
- Host the Daily Egyptian newspaper, now in its 100th year.
- Photograph the lives of communities.
- Create persuasive messages for commercial and educational purposes.
- Dedicate themselves to the fusion of theory and practice in the study of production of mass media.
- Educate the next generation of media scholars and practitioners who will carry forward our values of holistic education and global awareness.
- Teach and practice critical thinking about the central roles of mass media in a global democracy
- Publish a journalism review and a photography journal.
- Broadcast award-winning student media including a TV news show and an alternative news program.
- Broadcast public radio and television content from NPR and PBS as well as locally originated programming, knitting together the University and our surrounding communities.
- Study the impact of media on children, citizens, consumers, governments and society.
- Promote media content that is ethical, responsible, contextual, and respectful of diversity of background and belief.
- Open the doors of learning and success to first-generation college students, veterans, international students, adult learners, and a great variety of otherwise multi-talented students.
- Serve as a home for students and faculty who seek to study and make interdisciplinary cutting-edge mass media work, all under one welcoming roof.
We are home to the Department of Radio, Television, and Digital Media, Department of Cinema & Photography, and the School of Journalism. We collaborate with WSIU Public Broadcasting, located in our building, for student opportunities. WSIU operates National Public Radio (NPR) and Public Broadcasting Service (PBS stations.
Explore our website, email our faculty members, call our advisers, and come visit us –we are here to welcome you to join the MCMA’s long history of success!