The Online Certificate in Journalism & Mass Communication is a unique online program offered by the ACEJMC Accredited SIU School of Journalism that began in Summer 2014. This online program provides an opportunity to accelerate your learning experience without sacrificing educational value.
- Most courses last 8 weeks
- Earn your Certificate in about one year
- A variety of online courses will be offered in all 3 semesters, as well as intersession
- Courses taken as part of the Online Certificate Program can count toward a BS in Journalism
The Online Certificate Program requires 30 credit hours of online Journalism courses.
- Complete Writing Across Platforms (JRNL 201) and one of the following online: JRNL 332, JRNL 407, JRNL 434
- Complete 24 additional credits of Journalism online courses
- Total: 10 online courses, 3 credits each
- Earn a grade of C or better in each course
- All prerequisites or approvals must be satisfied prior to taking a course, as determined in the course catalog
The online degree courses for the specialization in Journalism and Mass Communication are formatted similarly to our on-campus classes. Online courses offer a combination of video and audio lectures, content, and reading materials. Students will generally have weekly assignments including quizzes, written work, and exams. Online class size is similar to our on-campus courses.
The cost for the Online Journalism program is determined by SIU’s Off-Campus tuition and fee structure. Please refer to the Off-Campus Tuition and Fees Calculator for additional information. Some courses may require the purchase of textbooks or other materials.
To apply, visit the Undergraduate Admissions website. Simply submit a Southern Illinois University admissions application, official high school and / or college transcripts, and the application fee or fee waiver to be considered for admission to the program.
For questions, or to request more information, please contact the School of Journalism’s academic adviser:
Jean Rendleman Miner